Sunday, June 13, 2010

Musings on a Sunday morning...

I do struggle with relationships, my dears...there are times when I feel close enough to crawl inside of someone, and other times well...other times when I just don't even know how we fell into the same lives together. And I'm not talking about your dad necessarily, although surely he fits like that, too, sometimes...I guess I'm talking about everyone out there. A few things that I've learned about relationships:

- no matter what, you can't get your own life satisfaction out of them. That's still got to come from within you.

- don't let the other person's mood/reactions alter your perceptions of the day/event/happening - I'm still working on this one, always will be, I think.

- forgive the other person when you can and move on. Don't dwell on the hurts.

- Call them on the bullsh*t.

- Be prepared when they call YOU on the bullsh*t.

- Try to think of THEM - the other - before yourself. Challenging, for sure. But that's what it takes. That doesn't mean laying down and letting them walk all over you. Hell, no. But think of their needs, then your needs and maybe you can find some compromise.

- people DO move in and out of your life. It hurts when they leave, but that doesn't have to change your feelings for them. Always leave the light on.

I'll write more later, but these thoughts were in my head today and I wanted to jot them down for you.

No comments: